Here are tips to keep your Workers Debit Card secure:
- Total recall. Memorize your PIN number. Do not write it down and do not share it.
- Nothing obvious. Select a PIN that’s unique. Do not use a date of birth or phone number.
- Switch digits. Change your PIN regularly.
- Wrong message. Never email your debit card number to anyone.
- Seek a seal. When ordering items online, make sure that the website begins with “https” and has a security seal.
- Out of sight. Keep your debit card in a safe place. Treat it like your Social Security number.
- Bad call. Do not give out your card number by phone unless you know the caller.
- Human shield. Be careful to shield the keyboard from the person behind you when punching your PIN into an ATM.
It’s a Sin to Reveal Your PIN
Aren’t debit cards a great invention? You buy something nice, slip the card into a thin slot, yank it back out and keep on shopping. Know who else loves debit cards? Thieves. Some engage in skimming – rigging ATMs to copy a card’s magnetic strip and record the PIN. But not all tactics are so high-tech. Too many people use obvious PINs or write them down in easy-to-find places. That makes your savings easy pickings. Our advice: Work hard to guard the card.
Looking for general information about Debit Cards? Visit the Debit Card FAQ section on our New Member page.
Workers Credit Union provides in-person banking services and financial coaching at locations in Worcester, Lowell, Fitchburg, Gardner, Chelmsford, Westford, Groton, Townsend, Lunenburg, Lancaster, Leominster, Athol, Hudson, and Orange, MA.Contact us with any questions about your card security.