The need for banking services for the Finnish population of Fitchburg was first realized in 1911 by John Suominen, the business manager of Raivaaja. That same year he met with the State Banking Commissioner, Pierre Jay, to discuss those needs and to lay the groundwork for establishing a credit union.
Soon thereafter, the original charter for Workers Credit Union was drafted and submitted to the Massachusetts Banking Commission. The Workers charter was approved in 1914.
At that time, the bylaws of Workers Credit Union, included the following terms; "Applications for membership must be made in writing, and each must bear the approval of a member of the board of directors....No director shall present the name of a person whom he cannot recommend as being honest, industrious and of good habits."
John Suominen was elected as the first Manager, the position now known as President/CEO, of Workers Credit Union. Franz Syrjala was elected the first President, currently the position now known as Chairman of the Board. The Credit Union originally occupied space alongside the Raivaaja Printing Company on Wallace Avenue in Fitchburg.
Workers Credit Union continues to grow...
- 1914 - Workers founded at Wallace Avenue in Fitchburg
- 1970 - Workers moves to Elm Street
- 1979 - Workers moves to Main Street (current location)
- 1980 - Workers acquires Gardner Municipal, Nichols and Stone and Orange CU
- 1982 - Cleghorn CU acquired
- 1984 - Gardner Polish-American CU acquired
- 1992 - Workers acquires Atlantic Union College CU and Heritage CU
- 1992 - Townsend branch opens
- 1993 - Nashoba CU acquired, becoming Workers Groton Branch
- 1994 - Leominster Branch opens (Twin City Plaza)
- 1997 - New Gardner office opens
- 1998 - Merger with Fitchburg Postal Employees CU
- 2003 - Acton Branch opens
- 2004 - Merger with Westford Municipal Employees CU
- 2005 - Merger with Chelmsford CU & Chelmsford Branch opens
- 2006 - Chelmsford High School branch opens
- 2006 - Mergers with Crobank CU and Peoples Community CU
- 2007 - The Peoples Community CU branch at Water Tower Plaza in Leominster merges with Workers
- 2007 - Acton-Boxborough Regional High School branch opens
- 2008 - Leominster Walmart in-store branch opens
- 2015 - Westford Branch opens
- 2015 - Monty Tech High School Branch opens
- 2015 - Site purchased for new corporate headquarters
- 2016 - Branch renovation project kicks off
- Headquarters - Fitchburg, MA
- 93,000+ - active members
- Assets - $1.5+ Billion
- Branches - 16 in Massachusetts
- 277+ employees