Here are tips from BALANCE Financial Fitness on reducing the risk of identity theft:
- Tear it up. Shred all pre-approved credit offers, account statements, and financial documents before disposing of them.
- Tuck it away. Don’t carry your Social Security card in your wallet.
- Stamp it shut. Put a lock on your home mailbox.
- Nix the numbers. Don’t have your Social Security or driver’s license number printed on your personal checks.
- Protect the PC. Make sure you have up-to-date virus protection on your computer.
- Delete the data. Never store personal or financial information on your laptop.
- Keep it complicated. Make sure your computer passwords aren’t obvious.
- Make an appointment. It’s free, and the BALANCE Financial Fitness counselors have a lot more advice to share.
Don’t Get Struck Down by an Act of Fraud
Computer fraud, wire fraud, mail fraud. Identity thieves will stop at nothing in their pursuit of your personal information. They’ll steal from your mail box. Go through your trash. Take files from your workplace. Hack into computers. Peak as you punch your PIN into an ATM. Phish via email by posing as a legitimate company conducting a survey. You can fight back by getting tips from counselors in our BALANCE Financial Fitness program. Don’t be offended if they talk trash.
Workers Credit Union provides banking services to greater Chelmsford, Westford, Groton, Townsend, Lunenburg, Lancaster, Leominster, Fitchburg, Orange, Lowell, Worcester, and Athol, MA. Get more information about BALANCE.